A brand new section has been added to the KPhotoAlbum web site helping people getting involved. Give it a try
Among other things, a number of junior tasks have been identified - that is tasks, that will help you get started with the code without loosing too much hair.
This weekend Jesper (as the last 3-4 weekends) will be working on KPhotoAlbum all day, so join him on the IRC channel, to get started with your contribution.
Tuomas is getting married today!06 Jun 2009
Today, our KPhotoAlbum developer Tuomas, will hopefully remember how to say YES! in Finnish, to his wife to be.
All the best to Tuomas and his soon-to-be-wife from the KPhotoAlbum community!
KPhotoAlbum 4.0.1 released21 May 2009
A new bugfix release have been made of KPhotoAlbum. Changes since the 4.0 release are:
- The handbook are now included in the package
- Fix compilation with new Marble and armel (Marble changed API again)
- fixed bug #186807 - no cancel button in "create own database dialog
- fixed bug #192385 - it was not possible to hide items in the annotation between sessions.
- Changed default shortcut for copy from previous image in the annotation dialog to Alt+insert, as control+insert was eaten by the line edits, and the shortcut did thus not work when they had the keyboard focus.
- BUGFIX: The HTML generator did not display the available themes correctly. Thanks to theBro@luukku.com for a patch for this.
- BUGFIX: Invoke external application for multiple files did not work. Thanks to theBro@luukku.com for a patch for this.
Years ago I got the idea to record some demo videos for KPhotoAlbum, you can see them on the video section of the homepage. Despite how informative they are, they are getting outdated (for one thing they are using the old name for the application - KimDaBa - all the time).
Today I therefore launch a new competition to record the coolest demo video for KPhotoAlbum, and everyone can participate. The prize is $100 (payed using paypal).
- The competition ends on Sunday June 14th 2009, 23:59 CET
- Once the competition is over, everyone from the KPhotoAlbum mailing list gets one vote (details on voting is mailed later)
- To participate, you must upload a video on youtube making a showcase for KPhotoAlbum, one of its features, a way that you like working with it, or whatever you think would be useful to newcomers of KPhotoAlbum.
- The video must be recorded using KPhotoAlbum 4.0 - please mail The KPhotoAlbum mailing list if you have any problems installing that version.
- Also, please mail firstname.lastname@example.org a short description of the video.
- All videos will be linked to from the video section of the homepage
- You may submit as many videos to the competition as you like
Some technical hints
You are completely free to choose your styles, resolution, etc, but for the video to be useful to most users, I suggest:
- Keep the length of a video to at most 5 minutes
- Limit the resolution to 800x600
- Make sure to speak loud an clearly
- English is the preferred language, both for GUI and voice
- Write a script before recording, so you know what to do
- I found that the application recordmydesktop was a nice tool for recording such a video.
KPhotoAlbum for KDE 4 released11 May 2009
After years of migrating efforts KPhotoAlbum for KDE 4 was finally released today. Download
KPhotoAlbum 4.0 is mainly a port from KDE 3 to KDE 4, but it does contain one major new feature, namely stacking, and a number of minor polishing.
Image stacking allows you to mark a number of images to be the same shot (think 10 images of Grand Canyon being almost the same, or a raw image converter and cropped in different ways).
- It is now possible to search for images with changed MD5 sum - very useful for searching for corrupted image files.
- It is now possible to configure the aspect ratio in the thumbnail viewer
- "Show this image" will now load all images in current view, thus making pressing Ctrl+A optional.
- Recognize .flv and .erf files
- In the annotation dialog there now is a new button for copying the annotations from the previous image.
- Display a warning instead of black screen when current image can't be shown in the Viewer
- Support PEF, a raw format from Pentax' DSLRs.
- Add Edit->Copy for copying a list of URLs to selected images to clipboard.
- Automatically hide mouse cursor and disable screensaver when in Viewer
- Add Edit->Open List of Files menu that shows list of thumbnails that matches user-entered stuff.
- The import dialog will now check if an image already exists in the DB with the same MD5 sum, and offer to merge the information about the images.
- Keywords has now been replaced with Events in the default setup that people will get when they create a new database.
First snapshot for KDE 4 released!11 Feb 2009
Did you ever wonder if the day would come when a KDE 4 version of KPhotoAlbum was released? Well today we got much closer to that day with our first snapshot for KDE 4.
Besides image stacking, there isn't much new stuff seen from the users perspective, but that doesn't mean that nothing has happend since the last release. KPhotoAlbum has taken a huge leap, under the hood, forward with the rewrite to KDE4.
So please give us a hand, and download this snapshot, and let us know all the bugs you find.
Download the snapshot from Download → Snapshots