KPhotoAlbum 5.5 released and new project maintainer
We're pleased to announce the newest release of KPhotoAlbum, the photo management software for KDE/Linux.
This release is mostly about optimization and bugfixes. Most notably, we now support compilation with exiv2 0.27. Also, using mplayer for video thumbnail generation has now been removed, leaving the task for ffmpeg. Please also notice that, starting with this release, at least Qt 5.9 is required to build KPhotoAlbum.
Other changes from the ChangeLog:
- Enhancement: Display dates when browsing categories. When browsing categories, two columns "Start Date" and "End Date" have been added. These columns correspond to the time range of the images tagged with that particular tag.
- Enhancement: Faster display of browser overview page. Depending on the current context, the overview should now be displayed significantly faster (on my particular system the time to display the "Home" page dropped from 500ms to 25ms).
- Change: More intuitive handling of down button in annotation dialog. Pressing the "down" button in a ListSelect in the annotation dialog now selects the first item, not the second one.
- Change: Use non-linear scaling for DateBar by default. (Implements #356810)
- Change: Instead of having "increase/decrease thumbnail storage size buttons", show a "Thumbnail settings" button in the status bar. (Fixes #357239)
- Bugfix: Restore correct behaviour for "Statistics..." action. Thanks to Andreas Schleth for finding and fixing the issue!
- Bugfix: Fix loading of user shortcuts for the annotation dialog.
- Enhancement: Add "clear selection" menu item.
- Bugfix: Fix zooming for raw images. Thanks to Angel Lopez for the bug report and help in finding the root cause!
Thanks to everybody who put work in this release. The git log lists the following individuals (with me being only responsible for the release this time ;-)
- Robert Krawitz
- Tobias Leupold
- Alexander Potashev
- Johannes Zarl-Zierl
New official project maintainer
Apart from this, we're very happy to now have a new official maintainer!
Jesper "blackie" Pedersen (the original project maintainer and founder of KimDaBa/KPhotoAlbum) announced his retirement from the project a long time ago, back in 2012.
Mostly, Johannes Zierl-Zarl lead the project commissarially since, at least from 2014 on when I joined it (and still, the fact that I even know a bit about C++/Qt coding and that I'm a KDE developer now are mostly caused by him being a forbearing, tireless and competent coach).
Now, quite some time later, he's officially the project leader. And fore sure, he's the one who knows his way around in more than 80,000 lines of KPA code.
So thanks once again to Jesper for founding this nice project and maintaining it for years! And big thanks to Johannes for accepting his inheritance and continuing to care about KPhotoAlbum!