KPhotoAlbum 5.3 released
We are pleased to announce the new release 5.3 of KPhotoAlbum, the KDE photo management software!
Removal of the face management
Most notably, we sadly had to remove face detection and face recognition (for now), as the Digikam guys apparently decided to abandon libkface, the backend we used for this. It can't be built anymore with a current OpenCV release, and has been thus dropped by most (all?) distributors.
We really hope to bring back this feature in the future! But at the moment, there's no library out there doing the job and we sadly can't write our own (yet – no just kidding. None of us can do such witchcraft ;-).
Other changes (from the ChangeLog)
- Bugfix: Fix crash with prepared SQL queries on Qt 5.10.
- Enhancement: Speed up startup by not counting images several times.
- Enhancement: Improve robustness of video length detection and thumbnail extraction.
- Enhancement: Made the full screen image preview in the annotation dialog reachable by a button.
- Change: Display absolute numbers instead of percentage when loading new images.
- Bugfix (#385551): Remove dead/unreachable code.
- Enhancement: Speed up video thumbnail creation.
- New: Added the "kpa-merge" script (by Robert Krawitz), which can merge two (version 7) databases and also remove unused labels.
- Enhancement: Speed up removal of images from database.
- Enhancement: Add a "Maximum megapixels" option to the search dialog.
- Enhancement: Don't re-compute an MD5 sum we already have when adding new images.
- Bugfix: Overall KF5 port regression fixes (missing buttons etc.).
- Bugfix: Sometimes, areas weren't updated correctly when annotating images and changing between them.
Thanks to everybody involved
The git log shows contributions of the following persons:
- Andreas Schleth
- Ben Cooksley
- Johannes Zarl-Zierl
- Robert Krawitz
- Sylvain Stanchina
- Tobias Leupold
Thanks to everybody who contributed to this release!