KPhotoAlbum 5.1 released
We are very pleased to announce the new release KPhotoAlbum 5.1. The following things are new:
Changes on the face management
Using the face detection and face recognition ourselves, we sadly had to realize that the current state of the implementation is not really suitable for productive use. The detector finds some faces, but only the straight-up front ones, and some not. The recognizer recognizes some person, but in most of the cases, it's not correct.
In our defense, it's not our code that doesn't do the job really good, it Digikam's libkface that we use. What we wrote is just what's necessary to use it. We can't rant about libkface though, because we can't do it better.
However, there does not seem to be an Open Source face detection and face recognition library that works really good. So we reluctantly decided that, at this time, the whole face thing is simply not suited for public consumption, yet. We really hope that this will change in the future.
We did not remove the code, but we did "hide" it behind a cmake flag. The default build will not compile the face management code anymore. If you want it, you have to set the ENABLE_PLAYGROUND flag. So either, it's up to you to decide if you want it or not (if you use a distribution like Gentoo), or it's up to your distributor.
Better area tagging workflow
If we don't use face detection anymore at the moment, we should at least be able to tag areas manually in a fast and convenient way. We thus implemented a new feature: a small dialog popping up after an area is drawn. Using it, the tag to be associated to the area can be entered at once, without further clicks or mouse moves.
We think that this offers a nice and fast way to draw and tag areas, and we hope that you like it, too :-)
From the ChangeLog:
- Enhancement (Bug# 370373): Made writing index.xml deterministic, so that diffing it produces minimal changes.
- Bugfix: Fixed areas not drawn when a photo was viewed after a video in the Annotation Dialog.
- Bugfix (#373263): KPA crashed when editing a birth date. Also restored the functionality if the whole birth date dialog, which was broken due to the KF5/Qt5 port.
- Bugfix (#373128): Fixed the "Copy image(s) to..." and "Link image(s) to..." menu.
- Bugfix: Prevent duplicate positionable tags. All except one are lost when saving. Apparently, nobody noticed this flaw since the introduction of positionable tags ;-)
- Bugfix: Prevent the image preview from flickering in the Annotation Dialog.
- Bugfix: Fixed various issues with the Android Remote Control.
Thanks to everybody involved
The git log says that the following individuals pushed code:
- Johannes Zarl-Zierl
- Luigi Toscano
- Pino Toscano
- Tobias Leupold
Thanks to everybody who worked on this release!