KPhotoAlbum 4.6 released
February 02, 2015
We are happy to release KPhotoAlbum 4.6, a new version of a photo management and tagging application for KDE. Read on to learn about latest changes.
One of the new features is Age View. This allows you to add the birth date of people on the pictures. Then you can see the age of the persons in the pictures at the time the photo was taken. A really cool feature especially when watching the toddlers grow. Take a look at a demo video to see what it is all about.
Face detection and recognition has been requested for ages. And now it has finally landed in KPhotoAlbum. Now it should be even easier to tag the photos with the assistance of face recognition. Again this is demonstrated on a video, enjoy.
New features, bug fixes and other enhancements
Below you can see a list of other changes and bug fixes, which is far from complete.
- Enhancement: Allow incremental building of thumbnail cache.
- UI: Add slider for resizing the thumbnail grid.
- Enhancement: Show a message if the untagged tag feature is misconfigured.
- Bugfix(#322514): Allow resizing of thumbnail grid without rebuilding the thumbnail cache.
- Bugfix(#334393): Handle image path correctly when importing from a .kim file.
- New Feature: Display images on a map (available in the annotation dialog and in the image viewer)
- Change: Rename old category names in the database. "Persons" becomes "People", "Locations" becomes "Places".
- Change: new database file version is 6.
- Enhancement: better performance on NFS (#340127).
- Bugfix(#340963): better handling of the '&' character in folder names.
- Enhancement: Improved category and tag groups (subcategories) pages in the settings dialog.
- New Feature: Face detection and recognition using libkface.
- Bugfix(#338870): Display a dialog if index.xml has a syntax error.
- New Feature: Specify the birth date for people (or any other category item for that matter) in Maintanence->Edit Birth Dates, and see their age when viewing images.
- New Feature: Add a context menu option to copy images from the thumbnail view.
Thank you to everyone involved.
Git log shows that the following individuals have contributed to the new version. Thank you everyone, and thank you everyone not on the list who have contributed in other ways like translations, documentation, testing and so forth!
- Johannes Zarl
- Tobias Leupold
- Jesper K. Pedersen
- Pino Toscano
- Yuri Chornoivan
- Miika Turkia