KPhotoAlbum 4.5 released
July 15, 2014
Today we are happy to release KPhotoAlbum 4.5, a new version of a photo management and tagging application for KDE. Read on to learn about all of these changes - there are quite a few, after all it has been a year and a half since KPhotoAlbum 4.4 was released.
Android client of KPhotoAlbum
If you have an Android tablet (and a spouse or a kid that would like to see your images) then this is likely the most interesting change to you. If you don't have all of the above, then it likely doesn't mean much to you :-)
The Android client is available on google play. It requires KPhotoAlbum 4.5 as the client isn't a stand alone application, but rather a viewer for your existing database running on the desktop.
View the video on KPhotoAlbum on Android
Another major feature in KPhotoAlbum 4.5 is positional tags. These allow you to tag individual sections of an image (say people).
View the video on positional tags in KPhotoAlbum 4.5
This feature was contributed by Tobias Leupold, welcome to the KPhotoAlbum team!
Improved saving speed
When I did a git log to see exactly what had changed since the latest release, I was surprised to see this on the list, as I was rather sure it already was in the previous release. I was wrong, so read this blog on speeding up saving to see what is in store for you.
Lots of other changes
Below you can see a list of other changes and bug fixes, which is far from complete.
- New Feature: Added an Android client, which can display images from a running KPhotoAlbum on the desktop
- New Feature: Tags can now be associated with an area of the image.
- Enhancement: Backspace now shows the previous image in the Viewer
- Enhancement: Implement file copy dialog in the Viewer.
- Enhancement: Added option to ignore specific EXIF comments. (Some digital cameras set a non-configurable EXIF comment in each image. With this option you can specify which comments should be ignored.)
- Bugfix (#254641): The current image is now highlighted when selecting images using the keyboard.
- Enhancement: On first start, the image folder defined in KDE settings is used.
- Bugfix: find thumbnail even for short videos (Thanks to Christoph Moseler for identifying the problem, and sending an initial patch)
- Enhancement: Implemented the Page-Up and Page-Down key presses to select the previous and next image in the annotation dialog
- Bugfix: Fix image import for kim files with external images.
- Bugfix: Fix crash when reading .kim files.
- Enhancement: Updated HTML darkJS theme
- New Feature: Maintainance->sort all by date and time (With this command, you don't have to worry about stacks, locked images, or similar)
- Bugfix: Prevent thumbnail progress bar from showing indefinitely when no MPlayer is installed.
- Enhancement: Make thumbnail cache readable by all users. (This makes sharing a KPhotoAlbum database actually possible.)
- Enhancement: Implement caching for thumbnail files.
- Enhancement: Recalculate md5sum when image is changed by kipi-plugin.
- Bugfix: Mark database dirty when images are deleted.
- Enhancement: Run without video thumbnail/length support when mplayer is missing.
- Bugfix: Don't try creating thumbnails for images not on disk.
- Enhancement: Use cached QImage instead of invoking KIcon::pixmap on broken files
- Enhancement: Add --info to script/kpa-backup.sh.
Thank you to everyone involved.
I wont even try to list what individuals contributed, but git log shows these names, so thanks for your contribution!:
- Miika Turkia
- Johannes Zarl
- Tobias Leupold
- Robert Krawitz
- Andreas Neustifter
- Jan Kundrát
- Pino Toscano
- André Marcelo Alvarenga
- Yuri Chornoivan
- David Edmundson
- Dominik Broj
- Reimar Imhof
- Jesper K. Pedersen